Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Selfish vs Selfless



Ok, in institute we went over Ruth and the first chapter in Samuel. Ya know, as many times as I have had a course on the Old Testiment, and even read it, somehow I just forget the details to these stories.
We talked about how Ruth stayed with Naomi and the ever so famous verses that are even in "The Work and the Glory", where she tells Naomi that she will go where she goes and lodge where she lodges etc.., and also in Samuel, Hannah was made fun of for so many years, by her sister wife, that she could not bear children, and when she goes to the temple to pour her heart out to the Lord, the priest accuses her of being drunk. But she never rebeled, or got angry in either situation. Then on top of that, she is finally blessed with a son, and then ends up giving him to the Lord and only see's him once a year. Wow, talk about selflessness!
So, I want you guys to think of an example of someone you know that has showed selflessness and share with all of us on the blog. Just create a new post titled Selflessness or something like that.
I can't wait to read your stories.
PS- you should all read Ruth and Samuel too!

1 comment:

Mom / Nana / Suzi said...

Brit has a great idea - I suppose we've all been too busy to want to participate. Selflessness... My first thougt of course is the Prophet. But beyond that may I just say that I feel MOTHERS are selfless. Women are amazing and I am passionate about women in the Church. We ARE daughters of God! We ARE royalty! We ARE precious in the sight of the Lord. I'll think some more about this selflessness topic and post a blog in a bit.